Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A political rant

So lately there's been all this news about states legalizing gay marriage. It's really exciting to think that we're progressing. Yet...at the same time, I'm so frustrated by people who seem to think that legalizing gay marriage will somehow affect their heterosexual relationships/marriages. I get it, I get that many people see marriage as their spiritual/religious union, but that's not what everyone views marriage as.

My brother sent me this link to a website about talking points for the conservative anti-gay marriage movement. I don't know if I'm just a bit close-minded in my opinion on the gay marriage issue, but it seemed like whoever came up with their talking points was arguing like a middle school/high school student would argue. The arguments just don't seem strong. I'm willing to listen to other people's arguments, but I still recognize when they're weak.

Like I said, maybe it's just because I can't possibly understand how people could condemn gay marriage (or any gay rights issue for that matter). Maybe I'm the close minded one. Hopefully not, but I'll admit it's a possibility.

:)

Currently Reading: The Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov

No comments: