Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hypocritical Procrastinator

I find myself lately sitting at home after I get home and doing...nothing! You'd think since I run into kids day long at school coming up with the most creative excuses as to why they don't get their homework done that I'd be the last person to procrastinate. Ha! You're wrong. It's not like I'm putting off anything extremely important, and I do still manage to force myself to the gym at least three times a week, but I still feel guilty. Is there something wrong with me?

So lately on my morning drive to work I've been concerned (again) about the news on the election front. Is it just because it's been going on so long that I'm tiring of stories about Obama and Clinton duking it out? I was disappointed in Obama's comments last week, even though I definitely understand where he's coming from. I guess the main disappointment is that in all other instances he's seemed like such a wonderful speaker, engaging, inspiring. It just caught me off guard. Don't get me wrong, I still like him more than Clinton, but it does concern me.

A Little about Me:
I hail from a relatively small town, Fayette, Missouri. When I graduated I couldn't "settle down" for awhile. I transferred my freshman and sophomore years and finally settled on Mizzou. So, now I'm in my second year of teaching and I'm very excited to be staying in this new small town. This will be the first time in seven years that I have not moved. Heck yeah!

The town I live in now is much like my hometown, the people are friendly (I love small towns for this reason), you can walk anywhere, when you run your car off the road there are literally 15 people who stop to help, I could go on and on. The thing it takes awhile to notice is the beliefs and values that people hold. Right off the bat it seems that we hold many of the same values. I love my family, I enjoy having a good time, I'm not really wild, I enjoy going to church - even though I must now admit that I am one of the many who only attend two times a year, I know, shame shame. It took me awhile to really notice how boxed in many of my students are. There are so many who never get out. They stay here on weekends, their families don't vacation, they just don't get exposed to what there is beyond this town, this community. I realize that this isn't always (or necessarily) a bad thing, sometimes it just makes me wonder how much it does affect someone...staying put. Sometimes I wonder how it affected me.

Well, somehow another hour has slipped away and unfortunately I don't know where it went. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to keep up this blog unlike the others. I feel like that was a depressing entry, ouch. And here I am sitting here thinking, "Yes! Tomorrow's Friday!" Ha, it's been a rather long week at the high school. Can you say MAP testing? Oh yeah baby.

Currently Reading: Tangerine

No comments: