Thursday, November 6, 2008

I feel like a politician.

Because in my head I'm telling myself to "hope" and that "change is possible."
Too cliche?

So what the heck am I talking about?
Well, I have these classes full of students who don't like to read (or learn really). This of course really bugs me because I love reading. I'm an English teacher, of course I love reading! So, while I'd love to have them energized and excited about reading, or at least listening while I read, it gets really frustrating.

Why is it frustrating?
The majority of the students who sign up to take "sports literature" love sports (yay, that's cool) but don't like to read (boo, that stinks). The mixture of students is also a problem. There are a lot of students in these classes (I have two sections) who do poorly in school, have very strong personalities, tend to get in trouble, and do not like school. See where I'm going with this?

The Time for Change is NOW
So, I've been frustrated with this class since, oh...about two weeks after I started teaching it. It's a lot to handle. Lately it's been...ok...and when I say okay, it's still about four times as bad as my other classes, but for Sports Literature, I feel they're okay.

Today my principal (I'm really learning to like him!) came to talk to me about the class after school. I've told the principal and assistant principal about the issue so they generally try to drop by each class period to check on things. Anyway, he sent me a PowerPoint with some really awesome tips for teaching in general, things that are common sense, but I am really glad I was able to be reminded of.

Here's what I'm hoping to implement:
  • Be more positive! I let them get me down, and that never helps anyone, especially them. Come on Kate!
  • Meet students at the door - I've been really lax on this cause I always feel busy during passing periods.
  • Come up with a "Classroom Code of Conduct"? The sample one is awesome!
  • Make students raise hands (duh) and be polite (I've been working tirelessly on this one!)
  • Post the agenda every day
  • Be more positive! It's one of my classroom rules, so it can use repeating.
Wish me luck, I really hope to turn this class around. Again. :) It's so hard some days and I'm tired of being the "bitchy" teacher. I know that it's not all on me, but I'm the teacher, and if I don't start the change, who will?

Once again, wish me luck. I will need it.


Currently Reading: The World Without End by Ken Follett

No comments: