Monday, May 12, 2008

Down 2.4...and I'm not talking about the Stock Market

Oh, such a creative title...I know. ::sigh:: I'm just at the point where my creativity is sapped. Sorry folks!

So now that my kids (ie. my senior students) are gone I'm left with almost nothing to do. You'd think I'd be ecstatic, and I am kinda relieved, but at the same time b-o-r-e-d! Last Thursday night was a whirlwind, but the day leading up to it was oh so boring. I sat. For hours. So, just to break it down for you, here's how my day went last Thursday.

8:20-9:50: Usually this is Composition I, but since my seniors were practicing graduation it was instead my "unplanned" plan period. I sat on my butt at my desk grading my Honor's 10th homework. Okay, I did get up and chase down a senior who had one of my all-time favorite books and threatened to call her every day of the summer until she returned it. Come on, she had The Kite Runner. I'm not lettin that one get away! And you'll be glad to know (overjoyed I'm sure) that she returned it the next day, go Nina!

9:55-11:20: World Cinema. At the beginning of the semester I had 15 kids. I now have 2. Seriously, what can you do with 2 kids?!

11:25-11:50: Lunch. Mmm...Smart Ones Ziti Marinara

11:55-1:25: My actual plan period. I seriously can't tell you what I did during this time. That's how boring it was.

1:30-3:00: Read & Write for Life - my least favorite class. Hate is too strong a word, but let's just say I was not unhappy (and actually felt a bit guilty) unloading this class onto my mentor next year. Good luck M! You'll need it.

3:00-5:00: It was Scrabble in the Library! Yes, you read that right. I was on my way home for a workout when I let myself get distracted by the oh-so-entertaining game of Scrabble taking place in the Library. It was a showdown. New teacher vs. Crazy Mrs. L (ok, so she's basically new, too). History teacher vs. English teacher. Who do you think won? Yup, history. Way to give us English teachers a good name, Jules.

5:00-6:15: Rivertown Restaurant. My first visit to one of the many restaurants in Htown besides Wings a Blazin and the Mexican restaurant. It was good. I had a yummy BLT and some not so yummy fries. I also discovered that I'm not the only horrible person - we all had a grand time making fun of a coworker. I know that makes me seem mean, but seriously. If only you knew.




6:45-9:00: Graduation! Mr. M managed to make a great exit (he's leaving us for another school district - I'll discuss this later). He hired a "singing Bearcat" (a Bearcat is our mascot) to serenade the seniors in retaliation for their lovely "singing Valentine" they hired for him on VDay. It was really cute. Those seniors are rascals though! I don't know if any of you gave your principal or superintendent something while walking across stage, but it seems to be a tradition in small-town Missouri. So, the seniors this year decided to give Mr. M screws. As in "you screwed us". Then the last senior gave him a screwdriver. I have no idea what they think he "screwed" them on, but come on! It's graduation, be nice! Fortunately Ms. B stepped in earlier in the night, because they were going to give him the sawed off paws of laboratory cats they had dissected about a month earlier in science class. EW!

All in all it was a good day/night. Busier than I meant for it to be, but great fun either way.

So. As I mentioned above, Mr. M (my principal) is leaving next school year. He's the one that interviewed me two years ago when I was dying for the job and he had to sadly tell me that the board had not gone with his recommendation (me). Then, he was the one that saved me from Hell (ie. the school where I was going to teach this year) when he called me out of the blue and asked if I was still interested. Seriously. After the principal I had last year, he's just...amazing. I've heard the new guy, Mr. L, is going to be a good fit, but it's kinda unnerving after getting comfortable with the situation as it was.

In other news, I'm down 2.4 pounds! Yay! That may not seem like much, but seriously, it didn't really feel like much work. I mean, I already work out at least 3-5 times a week. I seriously didn't realize how much I was eating. I'm just really enthusiastic now to stick with Weight Watchers. I'm excited!

This is turning into a really long post, sorry. A little more.

So, Mom told me last night that my step-Granddad died yesterday morning. Now, don't think I'm a bad person when I say I haven't seen him in a couple years. I was never close to him to tell you the truth. He never liked kids much and by the time we weren't kids he was just...old and cranky. I did send Meemaw a thinking of you card with an adorable kitten on it this morning (she shares my love of felines), so hopefully that shows that I do care. Looks like I'll be going to a funeral this week though. And later in the week? Three graduation ceremonies! Ahh...this time of year is crazy!

Well, that's all for now, that should do. :)

Currently Reading: Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings (still, ahh!)

No comments: